First you spice up the chicken, and then bake, get the rice started in the skillet and finish it off in the oven
The chicken comes out tender, and the rice is light and fluffy. And because everything cooks together in just one pan, the rice is incredibly flavorful; the juices of the chicken enhances the rice dish, making it really tasty.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2-garlic clove, minced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1½ -2 teaspoons creole spice
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 13.5 oz. can (1¾ cups) coconut milk
- 15.5 oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon white ground white pepper
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2½ cups chicken broth or water
- 2½ -3 pounds of chicken thighs (about 5-6 thighs)
- 1½ -teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons Jerk Seasoning [a mix of 1½ Tablespoon onion powder, 1½ Tablespoon garlic powder, 1-tablespoon ground ginger, 1 Tablespoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, ½ tablespoon cinnamon, 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika, ½ Tablespoon ground nutmeg and 1 Tablespoon or more Hot pepper (Chili, cayenne pepper, pepper flakes) Adjust to suit taste buds)] or a spice mix of your choice.
- Jerk Chicken Thighs – for faster cooking make a ½ " slit into chicken thigh meat on either side of the chicken wipe with a paper towel. Season with salt
- Rub both sides with generous amount of the spice blend. Or your favourite spice mix
- Place chicken skin side up in a skillet / Dutch oven or oven safe pot/pan for about 3 minutes each, be very careful with the chicken, it shouldn’t burn. Remove from the pan, and set aside
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F and remove the chicken skin when cooked
- Place the rice into a large bowl, cover with cold water and wash the grains. Tip the water out then repeat twice until the water runs clear.
- Wipe pan with paper towel or napkin to remove any burns from pan.
- Add about 2 Tablespoons oil, followed by onions, thyme, garlic and sauté until soft but not golden, about 2-3 minutes. Then add rice and the beans
- And all the remaining ingredients, chicken stock, coconut milk, paprika, white pepper and salt. Add chicken, bring to a boil.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 30- 35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove, let it cool and serve.
This would make for a great lunch. Serve with some vegetable salad and enjoy the goodness!
Source: This recipe was obtained from ImmaculateBites